On Wednesday morning San Antonio’s coalition Council will finally vote to reduce the opening hours of the town’s famous West End and declare the area a ‘zone for special acoustic protection’ (ZPAE).
Curiously it’s been decided to take the road of ‘Calle Del Mar’ out of the zone which has caused much head scratching as this is where most residents in the area actually live although this specific decision is provisional and is subject to further acoustic measurements throughout the summer.
Here are the proposed changes in full, subject to a majority vote in the council session on Wednesday 28 March 2018.
1. All restaurants, bars, coffee shops, music bars and nightclubs will have to close by 3am at the latest.
2. All establishments with musical activity will have to have double doors, hermetically sealed windows, forced ventilation systems for air renewal and sound limiters connected to the Council in real time. Business owners will have 6 months from the declaration of the ZPAE to ensure compliance with the new measures.
3. The granting of licenses that may aggravate the situation will be suspended and the implementation of new businesses involving musical activity will not be allowed.
4. All terraces on the public road must be closed by midnight and all furniture removed by 12:30am. From midnight to 8am any commercial activity on the public highway will be prohibited.
5. It will be prohibited to sell food or other products to the public road through a window after midnight without prejudice to the continuity of the activity inside the premises during their normal hours.
San Antonio council believe that the implementation of these new measures will result in a 50% reduction in excessive noise levels that affect the local population.
NOTE: The ZPAE area is as follows:
Calle Colom: between number 1 and 11.
Calle Santa Agnès: between number 1 and 18.
Calle Bartomeu Vicent Ramon: between numbers 1 and 8.
Vara de Rey: between numbers 1 and 26.
Calle Sant Antoni: between number 1 and 20.
Calle Sant Mateu: between number 3 and 20.
Calle General Delgado: between number 1 and 19
Source: Diario de Ibiza
Pic: Periodico de Ibiza