Massive New Twist for Space Ibiza

An image of the the iconic ‘Space Ibiza’ logo on the giant screen of the Hard Rock Hotel in Playa den Bossa with the words ‘coming soon’ has sent the White Isle and clubland into overdrive.

The Matutes group of companies (Usuhaïa, Hard Rock Hotel and Hī) and Space owner Pepe Rosello are sworn enemies so does this mean they have kissed and made up? Seemingly not, it looks like the situation just became even more complicated.

For now the Matutes group are staying silent but with this new turn of events can we assume they have decided to relaunch the iconic brand? This leads us to the big question: Who actually owns the trademark to the world famous Space brand? Is it 85 year old Pepe Rosello, the founder of Space, or is it the Matutes company who acted as his landlord for over 20 years in a complicated profit share deal?

The previously cordial relationship soured dramatically after Space’s lease wasn’t renewed in 2016 leading to the opening of Hī, a brand new multi million euro super club in the heart of Playa den Bossa. It made perfect business sense that the Matutes Group took back control of the area with a brand new concept that created a ‘golden triangle’ but Rosello didn’t go quietly with accusations fired by both sides leading to court papers being served alleging fraud by Rosello and slander by the Matutes group.

The Space brand as a clubbing concept has been dormant since Carl Cox played the final track stood next to Pepe Rosello in an emotional 2016 farewell but it was recently disclosed that ‘Space on Sunday’ could return in 2022 with Cox back as the front man at a new venue that was later revealed to be Es Paradis in San Antonio.

However with this new dramatic giant screen twist it looks like the Matutes group has laid down a clear marker that they, in fact, own the Space trademark and speculation is now rife to where they might take the iconic brand with all eyes turned to Privilege in San Rafael.

To add greater confusion to proceedings the Matutes group are currently embroiled in their own protracted court case about the ownership of Privilege. The group already owns 45% of the ‘worlds biggest nightclub’ and a Balearic court has judged that they can purchase the remaining 55% at a price set by an independent auditor. This ruling has been challenged by the existing owners who think they might have to sell on the cheap but the group are confident that the judgment will be ratified by the Supreme Court very soon.

So many questions still remain. Who owns the Space brand? Will ‘Space on Sunday’ return in 2022? If so will it be in Es Paradis? Will Carl Cox keep his promise to only work with Pepe Rosello or will a potential Space/Privilege hook up by the Matutes group be too tasty to turn down? Will Space even go to Privilege and in what form? Will the Rosello v Matutes feud be resolved any time soon?

There’s plenty more legs in this story. Ibiza – always interesting, never dull.

Author: Martin Makepeace

Englishman living and working in Ibiza since 1991. Entrepreneur with a passion for villas, boats, sunsets and San Antonio. Read my blogs, listen to my podcasts and catch me on Radio One Mallorca every Tuesday morning.

6 thoughts on “Massive New Twist for Space Ibiza”

  1. … high level stakes Martin .. would be good to see Space giving a much needed revival to Es Paradis .. but Privilege a much larger venue of course – and partly (soon to be fully) owned by the Matutes Group .. so as you mention, Privilege probably more likely a clear favourite for the new Space.
    With the unveiling of the giant electronic sign on the Hard Rock Hotel then it does appear that the Matutes legal advice suggests they do indeed believe convincingly that they own the Space brand .. assuming all will be revealed before Spring ’22.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. For me, Space was a place and a brand fused together.

    Many of us treasure our days and nights in the original Space and for various reasons will be unlikely to step into any other club by the same name.

    Having said that, I’m sure that once the dust has settled then the brand will live on in one guise or another but for us, Space can never and will never be the same again.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Like anywhere , Space was not just about the name, not just about the logo and not just about the building. It was the feeling, the mood and the people. Recreating that is going to be much harder than winning some greed driven court case.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s